Fall 2016

Started by Azrael, July 13, 2016, 02:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azrael

Wanted to share an idea of improving the game in a sense of alternate icons. Alternate icons being turfs or objects like grass or bookshelves to have a variety of styles to randomize and make the game look and feel more alive and detailed. The example below takes the season fall into account. In Fall the trees begin to wither away and die, but not all at once, they turn into a gorgeous range of colors such as yellow and orange and deep reds. Then they slowly fall to the ground where the grounds keeper rakes them into neat piles on the ground. Mushrooms of all types also thrive in the Fall sprouting out in all sorts of areas. The alternate blocks will work as such, when the grass block loads in it has a % chance to load with a certain tile on top of it(or separate grass tile all together, what ever is easier) such as a mushroom, rocks and stones, acorns, new flowers for potions perhaps( or non-pick able flowers), dark or dying grass spots. If this idea is liked this could be done to all sorts of icons, like bookshelves having a different assortment of books, stone walls having moss or vines creeping between the cracks, and more variety of trees. This change is by no means a big one, but it will make the world feel more alive and refreshing to some. Constructive criticism please, not all icons are final and can always be improved. I'd like to hear more ideas about what can use some more variety.

Apeiro

I like this idea. I agree with the random chance for mushrooms, leaf piles etc. to appear around the map, but i feel that trees should be handled differently. It would be odd to have a tree full of red leaves or no leaves at all to suddenly change into a lush green tree. I'd propose that trees would slowly go from green to yellow/orange to red and finally no leaves based on what time of year it is. For example mostly green/yellow trees towards the end of september/beginning of october and turning into red trees or trees without leaves towards the middle or end of november.

Azrael

True, and some leaves are yellow even in the summer. I'd like to add more variations on trees, some less dense and smaller almost sapling trees.

Ben

I enjoy the idea and I agree that variation on some turfs and objects around the world would make the game seem more detailed, however the idea to give trees sounds like a bigger task than what it's actually worth. If we manage to collect the icons together then we can have winter updates, summer updated and fall updates. Much like other MMO's do, except on a smaller scale. We do it already to add snow instead of grass and such but ofcourse having some extra icons to add into these updates would not go amiss.

Azrael

Winter is always an odd one, As it converts all grass to snow, which adds a tough way to make the snow more detailed. I have no idea how long it would take, but I think adding footprints in the snow would be cool mechanic for winter. People in invisibility cloaks leaving prints still, seeing the after math of a battle in the snow. Following a trail. It could also lead to potions like Elixir of Soft Feet - leaves no footprints behind for 15 mins. Snow blocks could have more variations like drifted snow,piles of snow in certain areas and icicles forming on buildings. Just a few things. Each season having a more definite theme. Again its not a big change, but a fun and easy one to do.

Severus

I really like this idea, I have always been a fan of Azrael's graphics.

Possibly trees could drop items and items could be hidden behind trees as a result of this?

I also like the idea of the blend with potions - would it be possible to make new ingredients with the flowers?

Could each color tree have a certain effect on the game or it's surrounding area? I.e. different stat rates etc (like the weather)

-Sev

Apeiro

I like the idea of leaving tracks in the snow and items sometimes falling out of trees, but it doesn't make sense to me how the color of a tree would affect you or the surrounding area differently for each color.

Azrael

Apple trees can drop apples and you can make apple pie, or poison apple. Walnuts can fall for walnut pie. Basically just more pie. I'm also confused about the effects. A potion of the Forest could maybe increase your mana regen when 10 blocks from a tree maybe not too sure.

Apeiro

Quote from: Azrael on July 14, 2016, 02:22:03 PM
A potion of the Forest could maybe increase your mana regen when 10 blocks from a tree maybe not too sure.

Long term effect (5-10 minutes) to passively restore MP when near a tree, perhaps?
I could see myself using that when fighting trolls in the forest, or in the spider pit.

Azrael

Yeah thats what I mean, not everyone will use it, but if one person will than its worth it always to add features big or small.

Ben

There only is 1 person around to enjoy new features. Here's hoping we get a wave of new permanent players soon!

Rotem

The potion system can only support one new ingredient, the other 4 will have to remain daisy, aconite, eyes and rat tail, the first two being flowers with placeholder icons that could be integrated in the forest somehow.

As for tree colors, I've previously -begged- for a certain icon change to trees to make that a reality however my request went unanswered, in reality the trees currently get a few shades automatically however due to NOONE, neither Azrael or Justin or ANYONE actually granting my requests there is no full RGB control but there could be and no I won't be switching icon states for a simple color change of trees.

Apples dropping from trees is nice, could be animated but gotta make sure the graphics support the concept, gotta make sure there's apple icons and whatever else.

Quote from: Ben on July 14, 2016, 10:23:41 AM
but ofcourse having some extra icons to add into these updates would not go amiss.
This suggestion is clearly about Azrael looking to see if people want his icons, I'll wait until icons appear.

Quote from: Azrael on July 14, 2016, 04:19:41 PM
Yeah thats what I mean, not everyone will use it, but if one person will than its worth it always to add features big or small.
No, one person is not worth it, however, TWC doesn't just have one person and the future is not sealed either. Especially not with 511 hitting beta, I ran TWC in 40 fps yesterday...

Apeiro

Quote from: Rotem on July 14, 2016, 10:52:07 PM
I ran TWC in 40 fps yesterday...

Was it still slidy? :D

Azrael

First Draft of Fall Icons. Also some other things that I just threw in there.

And who doesn't like a nice side by side.

Changes include Shadows to add depth. Minor tweaks to walls, subtle and can be modified to pop out more. The bookcases aren't as random as they could be, I just edited them around for the comparison. Table is also WIP.

Some icons included

Ben

I prefer TWC's current bookshelf. The table is nice but I'm not sure it fits in with the rest of TWC.