Incapacitate Students

Started by Skystone, July 02, 2016, 01:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skystone

I was thinking, why do we always have to resort to killing other players? Can't we just incapacitate or try the neutral route of knocking them out? GMs sometimes have events where they kidnap weak leveled players and host an event where they have to rescue these players. What if instead the players could do this themselves? What if players could kidnap other people and in turn create a sort of "kidnapping event" where the "good guys" gotta save this player.

Here's how it works:

We could introduce a new projectile spell that acts like it's doing damage however, it doesn't affect the health of a character and instead affects the conscious state of a character. With this new projectile the opponent will be able to put the victim to sleep for a long period of time if the spell lands multiple hits on the victim.

For a hostile to completely make their victim go unconscious, they will need to hit the victim with this spell about whatever their max health is times 2 (or slightly less if that's too much). This makes it extremely difficult for players to incapacitate old players however it will be relatively easier to incapacitate new ones.

Once the victim is unconscious they will be "out" (unable to see and unable to hear the say, doesn't mean OOC or guild/house chat however) and can be dragged to areas (in a sense they will work like the pet system, but will slow down the player's movements by a tick or so due to the weight of dragging the victim). These victims will be unconscious for around 2-5 minutes (a suitable amount of time for the player to get out of harm's way and trap the victim in their lair or do whatever else with them).

Once the victim wakes up they are considered weaken and their movements will hesitate by 1 or 2 ticks (this will last for 4-8 mins). This is so the aggressor doesn't have to keep a constant eye on their victim and to discourage the victim a chance from escaping (though the possibility is still available). During this time the aggressor may call out on OOC that they've taken someone captive alive and require payment or can keep the victim prisoner as bait or can possibly interrogate the victim for information and whatnot.

Some notes:
-The victim can't be moved into vaults, but can be moved into HQs.
-The victim can't be affected by the spell again during the weaken or sleeping state and have a free 1 minute of invulnerability from the spell to get away from the aggressor after the effects wear off.

As for the projectile itself I was thinking it would look like a jet grey with a whitish inside (would be recolored if wand is colored) and would look kind of like sand (for reference: https://fishiezrule4157.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/beach-modified-grey-sand.jpg).

What do you guys think, does it sound overpowered or does it sound like an interesting new player-led event?

Current:
Ravenclaw Graduate
DJ

Former:
Head Auror
Dragon
MagDeluxe Reporter
Charms Professor
COMC Professor

Rotem

It goes against the meta of the game to a point you may well scrap it. Will be re-visited at BYOND 511.

Apeiro

Quote from: Skystone on July 02, 2016, 01:55:21 PM
Can't we just incapacitate or try the neutral route of knocking them out?

You can already knock people out. That's what happens when you "kill" someone.

Sara

Question? What happens when you aren't doing this event? What would happen to the spell? If a spell like this is permanent in the spells tab, I can honestly see a lot of abuse with it. Especially towards new players if it takes less effort to "knock" them out.

I suggest this spell should have equal amount of hits regardless if the person is new or old. A Human being is just a Human being. The health has 0 into it when it comes to making someone sleep. And it should have a "chance" of it happening/working.

Not it being effective 100% each time, so that way they have more of a chance to "get away" (Adds more effect/affect (sue me) to the event if you're chasing your prey, right?). Especially if they want nothing to do with the event (Some new and old have busy lives, you can't force someone into something).

Ben

"Ben wishes to kidnap you. Do you accept?"

"OK"

Rotem

I'll comment once more since you all seem so opinionated about it despite my last reply. Right now, PvP in TWC is fast paced, the binds last such a short duration and they're still quite lethal.

This idea works in several other BYOND games which probably influenced this post, SS13, some naruto games and even a stargate game had it implemented. The problem I see is that right now you just fight, get knocked out, go out and fight again, fast paced, to implement this you have to give more weight to being defeated, maybe we'll overhaul combat in the future, maybe not, as of right now, in this point in time, we are simply not equipped nor ready to handle it.

I can see how this would be implemented in the future, in a similar fashion but I just don't want to mess with anything combat related until 511 kicks in. It'll bring client side fps and possibly change how the game feels since we will no longer be stuck on 10 FPS.

Ben

Make Avada Kedavra a student spell plz I want to be Voldef0rt.