The test screen mode

Started by Murrawhip, April 17, 2012, 02:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about the large-map mode?

It should be made the default view.
9 (60%)
It should be removed entirely.
5 (33.3%)
It should be changed. (Reply with your suggestion)
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Lavenblade

Quote from: Lucifer on April 29, 2012, 02:59:48 PM
Quote from: Rotem on April 29, 2012, 12:08:29 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on April 29, 2012, 08:19:32 AM
People stat train for 100s, maybe 1000s of hours to get a big advantage in dueling, I don't see a problem with having a small advantage for working 20-ish hours minimum wage and putting it into a screen.

How is it fair for a 9 years old kid?
Or someone that can't work.

You can't compare stat training and working, that's like comparing eating pies on TWC and eating pizzas in real life.

I had my first job at 10 years old raking leaves with a friend.

Why can't you compare them? Rewards of working and stat training are based on the exact same thing - the amount of hours you put in (with a few exceptions: entrepreneurs, etc...).

The point is is that younger kids won't be able to have a full time job to up and purchase a bigger monitor just because a game had an update that allowed players with a bigger screen to have an upper advantage in a duel. I wouldn't spend that kind of cash for TWC and TWC alone.

On top of that, the younger kids wouldn't even know how to set one up if they had one.

Secondly, If I had a kid who wanted a big ass monitor for ONE game alone like that, I wouldn't let them waste their money on it.

Lucifer, you know that this grants unfair advantages vs people without big screens. How do you think we can fix this problem? I mean, if there was a way to fix it then the idea of a toggle would be amazing.

Lucifer

Quote from: Lavitiz on April 29, 2012, 03:50:08 PM
The point is is that younger kids won't be able to have a full time job to up and purchase a bigger monitor just because a game had an update that allowed players with a bigger screen to have an upper advantage in a duel. I wouldn't spend that kind of cash for TWC and TWC alone.

On top of that, the younger kids wouldn't even know how to set one up if they had one.

Secondly, If I had a kid who wanted a big ass monitor for ONE game alone like that, I wouldn't let them waste their money on it.

Lucifer, you know that this grants unfair advantages vs people without big screens. How do you think we can fix this problem? I mean, if there was a way to fix it then the idea of a toggle would be amazing.

You don't see my point. There's unfair advantages in the game already, some which I consider more substantial than a little big bigger map.

I really don't see how a few extra spaces is a big deal. Anyone can stretch the screen out wide regardless of your monitor size to see more, the vertical difference really isn't that much visually on my 22" monitor. Like Murra said the projectile's spell range is only 7 tiles.

I prefer the new map because it makes more sense stretching your screen and it makes the game look better. For the record I don't even use my monitor for TWC, I use it for Xbox.

There's advantages in loads of games for having a bigger screen. Think of a First Person Shooter. Bigger screen = Bigger icons, easier to see and react to situations. I don't accept the notion of holding back on what would innovate the game because it'll make the game a little (and I still fail to see it beyond little) more unfair dueling-wise.
Current
TWC DJ

Former
Hufflepuff Quidditch Cpt (2008)
Hufflepuff Prefect (2008)
Transfiguration Professor (2008)
Administrator (2009)
Dueling Instructor (2009)
COMC Professor (2009)
Charms Professor (2009)
Head Auror (2011)
Head Deatheater (2011)
Game Owner (2013)
Head DJ (2014
)

Murrawhip

Quote from: Lavitiz on April 29, 2012, 03:50:08 PM
Lucifer, you know that this grants unfair advantages vs people without big screens.

See, that's the part I'm not so sure of. How much of an advantage are we really talking of here?
85% of people have a resolution larger than 1024x768, so let's use that as our worst case. (a)
The standard "bigass monitor" is usually 1920x1080.(b) You can get a bit bigger, but it's pretty rare.

Assuming fullscreen, with the chat pane fully withdrawn, and taking off a tile for the startbar,

a: 32 tiles * 23 tiles.
b: 60 tiles * 31 tiles.

Now on first glance, that's a huge difference, right? But remember when I mentioned that projectiles only go 7 tiles? Let's say you're rockin' the test screen mode, on resolution a:

As the vertical plane is the smallest, we'll look at that to demonstrate my point. floor(23 / 2) = 11; so you have 11 tiles above and below your character. In the normal map mode, you only have 8 tiles above and below. If someone is firing at you from outside your visual range right now, do you often find yourself spontaneously running into their projectiles? This is the point Rotem made - I don't particularly agree with it. I think that, given an additional 3 tiles(minimum) your chances of being attacked from outside your view successfully are even less than what they usually are.

Admittedly, you have an advantage if you have a larger screen and are trying to run away from somebody - but how often does that even happen? It's a con, sure, but does it outweigh the pros of having a more graphically pleasing game? Ya'll seem quick to try and point out the unfairness of this system, but is that unfairness a big deal? It doesn't seem like one to me, so you should explain how it is.

Rotem

Quote from: Murrawhip on April 29, 2012, 04:55:19 PM
This is the point Rotem made - I don't particularly agree with it. I think that, given an additional 3 tiles(minimum) your chances of being attacked from outside your view successfully are even less than what they usually are.
Actually no, I was talking about using the test mode vs not using it.

7 * 7 vs a or b would be drastic.

At which point you ask whether you want players to be allowed to toggle it off.

Considering dueling has been a greater feature than TWC's graphics I'd simply rather protect it than make the game more grahically pleasing.
Sure, it's nice to improve but at what cost.

There's also the fact not many people are actually trying it, it's really hard to say for sure how big of a disadvantage it really gives.

Dueling is not the only reason either, both a and b allow you to see quite a huge part of the map, is it really graphically improving the game?
Right now when I log in, I don't toggle it on, I'd rather have it toggled off, I don't know if it's whether I'm not used to it or whether I just don't see a drastic improvement.

I then also wonder how will spells&Say will actually work, right now people don't pay much attention but if they're forced to it can get a bit confusing.

Quote from: Murrawhip on April 29, 2012, 04:55:19 PM
Admittedly, you have an advantage if you have a larger screen and are trying to run away from somebody - but how often does that even happen?
This actually happens quite often, whether it's newbies running from people they can't kill or someone running to heal/talk/do something else.

I'd really like to actually use bigger view and avoid crappy icons but as it is right now I just think the cons outweigh the pros.