randomized luck potion

Started by Rotem, May 14, 2016, 10:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rotem

I'm thinking that instead of having luck potion locked to ONE recipe you can repeat, I'm thinking to have it randomized upon trying untested recipe, just like a random boom mix except with much lower chance.

With this I can boost luck potion to be shockingly lucky since it'll be harder to obtain.

Alternatively I could create 2 versions and just call the better one "perfectly brewed" or whatever. I just feel like obtaining that potion should be harder.

Apeiro

I have nothing against this.

Rotem

Currently leaning towards the second option.

You'd be able to make luck potions they just won't be perfectly brewed, maybe I should think of a way to implement potion quality.

But regardless, I don't want overpowered potions to be easily made once discovered, this way I can give a really powerful effect to those potions.

Immortality potion, extreme luck potion, super speed potion (I may have conjured a cool speedy graphical effect, I don't know what to do with it yet though).

If you have a really small chance to produce those, it'll be doable.

If you have any ideas for a separate potion quality concept, let me know

Skystone

I like the 2nd concept better. This will give an extra incentive to potion experimenting.

Current:
Ravenclaw Graduate
DJ

Former:
Head Auror
Dragon
MagDeluxe Reporter
Charms Professor
COMC Professor

Apeiro

So i gave it some thought and this is what i have so far:

Add hidden code for potions with a variable and rules how that variable affects the potion. The variable would start at 0 and depending on how it's brewed will either increase or decrease.
Have each point of the variable affect the effects of the potion. For example single-effect timed potions like invisibility, stone body, cat's eyes etc. would have their duration raised or lowered.
Dual effect potions like health and mana restoration might have an increase to both the strength of restoration and time. How the variable is affected would basically be the same as we talked earlier, Rotem. (Number of differing ingredients, inflamari vs. glacius)

Also i would suggest adding an item to the game for brewing, but not have it affect recipes but instead the quality variable. I thought it would be something like distilled water.
I have two suggestions on how it'd be obtainable:
1. Add a tool for processing water and a way to collect said water from rivers, lakes, ponds etc.
Or my personal preference:
2. Have it as a reward from a new daily quest. (And i have thought of this one, too.)

The daily quest would involve Tom asking students no younger than 5th-years to help him patch a hole in his cellar to stop the pesky rats from getting in.
It would require reworking of some old, mostly unused spells, but i think it would make them useful in other places, too.
Are you ready for this?
Bombarda and reparo. Yes, give them another use than just cauldrons (which is pointless imo, except just to learn bombarda from an auto-class).
The daily quest would involve killing some demon rats and repairing a hole in the wall of Tom's cellar. Also, it could give bombarda and reparo the use of breaking down walls in the CoS.
Except i think they should be reworked into projectiles (else not much of a secret breakable wall if you can see it in a list).

This still needs some refining. Thoughts or remarks?

Rotem

I'm not touching Tom's code...
The only reason bombarda and reparo still exist is the royale shoes quest...

I thought about the extra item for quality before but I am leaning towards making 'special' ingredients that are just different than normal ones, quality ingredients result in quality potions!

Skystone

Current:
Ravenclaw Graduate
DJ

Former:
Head Auror
Dragon
MagDeluxe Reporter
Charms Professor
COMC Professor

Rotem

There's 6 levels of potion quality, I'll name them similar to exam results. Quality is determined by 2 things:

• Unique ingredients, better potion and it's not just about the ingredient type but also about the form of ingredients. This -currently- determines 5 levels of quality and will impact current recipes.
  • The second factor, you do have control over, you can now creatively brew with every projectile and not just inflamari, while inflamari is a safe bet not making your potion worse or better, other projectiles have an impact depending on mixture of ingredients and projectile picked.

To expand a bit on projectiles, there's 3 outcomes when not using inflamari:

• 50% - your potion will lose one level of quality.
  • 33% - NOTHING.
  • 17% - your potion qill gain one level of quality.

Those are predetermined based on the rules of brewing and will repeat the same outcome once you've figured which projectile to use, the chances are your chances of guessing which projectile is right (You don't really have to guess if you're a potion master since it's based on simple brewing laws).

I still have to do super potions but I'm quite happy with this as it adds depth to potions.

The potion quality will be marked with the following:

• O for Outstanding
  • E for Exceeds Expectations
  • A for Acceptable
  • P for Poor
  • D for Dreadful
  • T for Troll

Apeiro

If troll potions would give the opposite desired effect (i.e. health potion would drain health instead), that would be hilarious.