The Daily Prophet Revised and Revived (Hopefully)

Started by ZedZalias, April 22, 2014, 02:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZedZalias

Hiya! I'm slightly new here, I play Cassandra and I'm a Ravenclaw
So, I've read Amy's article about the Daily Prophet, and I've read the few articles that are on the server at the moment, and I love the idea and concept, but there hasn't been a new article in awhile, and I'm wondering what happened to it. I assume Amy and Rotem became too busy to keep up with making posts as often as they should, and perhaps the community just doesn't want to waste valuable game time coming up with articles. So, I'm here to offer some revisions, and hopefully I seek to revive The Daily Prophet.

In canon, the Chief Editor of The Daily Prophets office was in Diagon Alley, so I was thinking of possibly having a small office with two smaller desks and a bigger desk (for the editor) with some decor such as statues and bookcases cleverly placed to look fabulous.

To be totally honest, there aren't an insane amount of players, however, there is a good amount, but not enough to sustain a full prophet. I suggest we revise the ranks to something simpler. (See below)

I've also noticed that a few of the articles are more or less stories, this is fine, and they are excellently written, but this is a newspaper, and there should be more factual information about the imaginary stories, such as, being in an interview, as the said interviewee re-tells the events.

Either replace the old Daily Prophet staff, or please please post more, I understand, busy lives, but you set your own rates for posting.

Find people who CAN write up at least once daily, two reporters offering two stories to the Editor, who will then decide if they make it into the Prophet (Verbs to post) . This would only be two people, not counting the Editor, but if the Editor wants to post they can.

Give the Journalists/Reporters and the Editor the power to conjure paper, like the teachers do in class occasionally for spell demonstrations (Charms class Wingardium Leviosa usually) .

I think the form from Google docs that was setup by either Amy or Rotem was awesome, I'd like to maintain that's existence, perhaps pass the doc over to someone who is more active, and will be reading the entries daily
Use of Gifs instead of images, GENIUS, it emulated the moving pictures, however it would be better if they could become black and white.

An actual paper form of the Prophet, written by the Editor on scrolls, or mass produced somehow, available on a stand in Diagon Alley.

Have cool mini-jobs open, such as Insiders and Spies, who don't work directly for the Prophet, but are being paid by them to gather information.

Have a newspaper stand, with maybe an NPC outside saying take one for free?

Have an ad system, people could write up adds for small businesses or services and pay a small fee for each edition its posted in, could choose the size, and quality, which would increase or decrease prices
I know this is all a very far chance from coming a reality, but I think the Prophet could be great.
The ranks inside the Prophet would be:
Editor-In-Chief (The person who edits the articles and posts them, also in charge of hiring and firing staff)
Columnists (The people who write stories up, and take up the desks in the office)
Reporters (The people who gather information, or make it up, and give it to the Columnist to write about)
Insiders (Basically the people we pay for gossip)
Ad Buyers The people who pay the Prophet for ads)

The pricing for ads would be an easy system:
Classified (Small entry with contact details) 5 gold and 20 words
Basic Ad (No picture, basic entry with contact information and room for details) 10 gold and 40 words
Basic Picture Ad (Gif included, same as Basic Ad) 17 gold and 40 words
Improved Ad (Same as Basic Ad, but more room for writing) 23 gold and 60 words
Improved Picture Ad (Same as Basic Picture Ad, but more room for writing and includes room for one more Gif) 23 gold and 67 words
Ultimate Ad Package (Shown on Cover page, 3 Gifs allowed) 60 gold and 100 words

Again these are all ideas, and most likely long shots, but I think I have at least some good ideas. In the case of this happening, I'd like to instate myself as the first Editor-In-Chief, due to Amy's and Rotem's absence/life occupation.Please don't hate on this, as it took me awhile to type, and it's currently 1:34 AM where I live, so it will be most likely sloppy, not to mention the 3 hour battle Ive just had with its formatting
The old post by Amy can be found here: http://forum.wizardschronicles.com/index.php?topic=2457.msg10575#msg10575
For canon information on the Prophet, this is your link: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Daily_Prophet
Feel free to contact me at: Aaocforlife@gmail.com for more information.

Amy

Actually, I was planning on updating it this week. I usually let it stew for about 2ish weeks (sometimes this turns into a month with certain articles, but ones I have a limit on I plan to continue editing).

Oh and there was a try at revival in terms of getting a daily prophet team together. That only lasted a month or so. You're more than welcome to submit an article to the DP via the form and call yourself part of the DP team.

Rotem isn't in charge of that anymore either. The editor is Julian (Bloodlust Virus).

2014 TWC Idol Winner
TWC DJ
Ex Quiddich player (Seeker)
Ex Auror (2011, Eze/Jules; 2013 Ian/Lewis, 2013-14 Nightflash, 2014 Leah/Christa)
Ex DP Editor
Ex Level 793
Active Winter 2010-Spring 2012
Revived Early Fall 2013
RIP Amy McCallahan

Rotem

To correct you, Rotem was never in charged of that to begin with.

Skystone

Quote from: Rotem on April 22, 2014, 08:36:14 AM
To correct you, Rotem was never in charged of that to begin with.

Rotem speaks of herself in third person O.o

Current:
Ravenclaw Graduate
DJ

Former:
Head Auror
Dragon
MagDeluxe Reporter
Charms Professor
COMC Professor

Amy

I almost didn't say anything about you at all Rotem xD

Anyways, Cassandra, just get in contact with me either on here, Skype or in game (I'll get on when I get off work tonight, I'm closing again). You can also go ahead and submit any articles you may want posted in the DP this week.

*edit* I didn't really mention this I guess, but I guess I should. The idea that I had about the 'team' and positions fell through. And has almost always in the past fell through. The more things keep changing in a sense that it needs to be very much so an 'equal opportunity' situation, where very few people are given specific titles that separate them amongst the other players, it allows the player base to be able to interact with the features and, in terms of the daily prophet, be heard. That is why it's set up so that you can submit an article to be posted, for the most part without question. The one article I received was clearly sent as a troll article with a fake player name, fake beyond key and was something like 'an apple feel oot of the skai'.
I have seen that your article was submitted, and even though you didn't fill out the other sections (I guess I should require those from now on) it is the first and only article that isn't a troll article that has been submitted to the daily prophet.

The only other person who has written stories for the prophet recently is me. If people would like to see more articles I'd be happy for some feedback. In fact, that may just be an article in itself tonight. I close at 12. I'll be on around 1:30am CST.

2014 TWC Idol Winner
TWC DJ
Ex Auror (2011, Eze/Jules; 2013 Ian/Lewis, 2013-14 Nightflash, 2014 Leah/Christa)
Ex DP Editor
Ex Level 793
Revived Early Fall 2013
RIP Amy McCallahan

Skystone

Glad to see the Daily Prophet is getting more attention. Remember, a story can always be better ;)

By the way, just so I voice my opinion, I really really really don't like the made up stories the Daily Prophet makes. I know they're for RP reasons and stuff, but they are really annoying. Just go around in TWC looking for something to write about, instead of doing whatever it is you're doing to make up the RP stories. If you do that you'll make me a ton happier as it's actual information that happened.

Please make this change ^ think about all the Skystones that are sad out there.  :'(

Oh, and thank you sooooo much if you do consider it! :)

Current:
Ravenclaw Graduate
DJ

Former:
Head Auror
Dragon
MagDeluxe Reporter
Charms Professor
COMC Professor

Amy

Quote from: Skystone on April 22, 2014, 07:12:40 PM
Glad to see the Daily Prophet is getting more attention. Remember, a story can always be better ;)

By the way, just so I voice my opinion, I really really really don't like the made up stories the Daily Prophet makes. I know they're for RP reasons and stuff, but they are really annoying. Just go around in TWC looking for something to write about, instead of doing whatever it is you're doing to make up the RP stories. If you do that you'll make me a ton happier as it's actual information that happened.

Please make this change ^ think about all the Skystones that are sad out there.  :'(

Oh, and thank you sooooo much if you do consider it! :)

xD The only made up stories are like Omnia's I think from like 3 or 4 issues ago? The vampire one was specific to something that someone was going to make NPC vampire or something.

I'll be on in a bit. Just clocked out of work.

2014 TWC Idol Winner
TWC DJ
Ex DP Editor
Ex Level 793
Revived Early Fall 2013
RIP Amy McCallahan

Severus

If this is reviving i'll submit some totally unbiased entries.

Long live the DP.

Word to Cassandra, ideas are awesome and beyond that of anyone thus far.

Amy

wow. i'm on mobile and about to go to class. cant go into acting angry, but ill be back around 330 to say something.

in general though, god forbid the prophet already be revived (last post before the new prophet waa on the 5th-7th. 2 weeks between issues seems reasonable so everyone gets a chance to read it updated) and was updated this week.

So thankyou. I salute you all. Dear jesus.

Oh, by the way.

Quote from: Severus on April 23, 2014, 02:50:24 AM
Word to Cassandra, ideas are awesome and beyond that of anyone thus far.

Go suck a dick Sev.

2014 TWC Idol Winner
TWC DJ
Ex DP Editor
Ex Level 793
Revived Early Fall 2013
RIP Amy McCallahan

ZedZalias

Sorry, I see now that it was stupid of me to post this article, wasn't thinking clearly at one in the morning I guess.
My apologies to Amy, and to Rotem for mistaking him for being part of the Prophet.
I'll take me leave from this post now.
Farewell fellow students.

Turb

Quote from: ZedZalias on April 23, 2014, 09:10:08 PM
Sorry, I see now that it was stupid of me to post this article,

It was not stupid of you. It was a great idea and you're intelligent with wonderful ideas. She's just mad that people responded better to you than they did to her when she made a similar suggestion, though hers was for her to have complete control over the DP, basically. She got her wish now so I don't see why she is acting so butthurt.

Rotem for mistaking him
PS, Rotem is a sheeeee.

ZedZalias

I keep messing up facts with Rotem, so I apologise again :p

ZedZalias

Quote from: Turb on April 23, 2014, 10:12:40 PM
Sorry, I see now that it was stupid of me to post this article,

It was not stupid of you. It was a great idea and you're intelligent with wonderful ideas. She's just mad that people responded better to you than they did to her when she made a similar suggestion, though hers was for her to have complete control over the DP, basically. She got her wish now so I don't see why she is acting so butthurt.

Rotem for mistaking him
PS, Rotem is a sheeeee.

I don't want to sound like I'm better then her, but being a Newspaper is all about co-operation and working with others to produce the best possible news and stories that are important while relevant at the same time, I wanted to be Editor-In-Chief yes, but I didn't want full control, I just wanted to put in more effort because I know for a fact I'm willing too, and that I have the time to. I don't think she wanted to control is persay, but her team idea did fall through, but I think mine could work... I just hope some of you consider it, because I think it would be really cool. And I say this in all respect to Amy, because I think she has done a wonderful job with the current prophet, but I think the server could use a nice little update, and since Diagon Alley is slightly bare, a little Daily Prophet Office wouldnt hurt, although, I dont know what its like to map or icon for this game, so it could be difficult.

Amy

Quote from: Turb on April 23, 2014, 10:12:40 PM

Actually, that was not it at all. I did not want complete control over it. I wanted a team of people to be able to come together and do it when it was first decided. Currently, I have it completely open for anyone to submit an article. No blame, shame or judgement. I do like people to fill out all the parts asked though (that way if there is a MAJOR issue with it, and trust me it must be a major major major issue, I can contact the person and ask them to rewrite). However, Cassandra is the only person to have submitted an article at all.

What really made me angry is it sounded like nobody cared that I was writing articles for it. I could have abandoned the DP all together. As you can see, my signature doesn't say 'Head DP Editor' or something. Just says DP Team. You write articles for the DP, you're on the team. Done.

I am honestly very sick of being portrayed in this negative connotation by you, Turb, and the very few people that have jumped on the bandwagon of treating me terribly.

And Cassandra, I was just simply saying that MANY people before (not just me) have tried to do this heirachy deal that comes with normal newspapers and honestly that doesn't work on this game. People responded nicely to mine then very few people followed through (and we had not established a reign of who was on top at that point, it was just common knowledge Rotem had the power to post then and now it's Julian). The daily prophet skype group had over 10 people in it - more than enough people to be able to write and have a decent DP going. However, Omnia and I were really the only ones writing articles for it. Even then, it just slowly dropped down to me.

It was my fault for reacting the way I did. I was planning to update every 2 weeks, and of course the day I was going to get all the new articles up this post showed up. So I'm sorry for getting angry. Feel free to keep submitting articles. I'd be more than happy to have someone else writing articles. I can only do so much.

Oh, and just a side note - I added the game Spell Scramble so I would always have a task to complete every 2 weeks.

I also had the idea of writing like 10-15 articles, then posting them like idk.. twice a week. I just haven't had anything interesting to write about yet. I've just been writing about current news in the game haha

2014 TWC Idol Winner
TWC DJ
Ex DP Editor
Ex Level 793
Revived Early Fall 2013
RIP Amy McCallahan