New spells and Spell/wand skirmishes (priori incantatum)

Started by kairu99877, July 04, 2015, 10:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kairu99877

new spells

I think it would be cool to continue adding new spells to the game somewhat regularly even if they were made up, as long as they were balanced. I also think it would be very cool to add some variation to the spells in the game even if they were only very small or even only visual in some cases.

Everte Statum. This is the spell malfoy uses against harry in the chamber of secrets wand duel. it could be implemented just as a damage blast or ideally, true to the movie example, it could knock the target back 2/3 squares and make them face the opposite way.

rictusempra. This is harry's spell that was cast on malfoy. it could operate in a similar way, it could just be a visual rework or it could make the opponent spin around and be knocked back 2/3 squares. maybe it could implement a dizzy status for 2 seconds or something also so they move in different directions or something

Lastly I think there should be 2 versions of expelliarmus. Maybe it is partially because it is my favourite spell from the films, but i think it should have 2 versions
1 - where it disarms the opponent (that is already in the game)
2 - the second version i think should operate as a knock back 2/3 squares and deal damage.

I do not mind if these spells are operated with cool downs, on the contrary i would expect it, as well as a MP cost as with most combat spells.

Lastly there has been a lot of talk about priori incantartum or wand/spell clashes. I think all of these spells could be implemented with that mechanic as well as a wide variety of other in game combat spells. I had an interesting duel when i first started several days ago with my friends where we manually clicked the inflamari spell and the beam moved back and forth between us as the spells clashed. this could be a very good mechanic for the "beam battle" system, using manual clicking or some other form of manual interaction to determine who wins so it is not just dominated by max rank players. also i think this could work with a wide verity of already implemented spells if it were programmed in to work when spells collided. either that or a new type of spell could be implemented which were "beam" spells rather than single space blasts

I have spoken about most of these points with other players in game and they were the ones who referred me to make this post, so others like some of my ideas also.

Thanks for reading, hope you like the ideas :)

PS: - In response to the first comment, I think it should be a projectile anyway. I just think one should disarm and the other should knock back. or POSSIBLY disarm them and if they are already disarmed then use it as a knock back.

Skystone

Quote from: kairu99877 on July 04, 2015, 10:26:33 AM
Lastly I think there should be 2 versions of expelliarmus. Maybe it is partially because it is my favourite spell from the films, but i think it should have 2 versions
1 - where it disarms the opponent (that is already in the game)
2 - the second version i think should operate as a knock back 2/3 squares and deal damage.

Personally I think it would be better to change expelliarmus into a projectile spell as that would make it more duel friendly.

Current:
Ravenclaw Graduate
DJ

Former:
Head Auror
Dragon
MagDeluxe Reporter
Charms Professor
COMC Professor

PrvMakedonec

I agree with the adding new spells bit, we really need Verdimillious and Ventus and other dueling spells from the HP games, and possibly even lumos
The guy hoping to learn every spell possible :)

Rotem

http://forum.wizardschronicles.com/index.php?topic=3493.0

http://forum.wizardschronicles.com/index.php?topic=2805.0

The reason I'm linking those two posts is because I refuse to add new spells until the current trash is dealt with, I'm all for improving expelliarmus but I won't be adding HP spells just for sakes of adding HP spells when we have a ton of spells that do nothing and just sit there like Samsung bloatware.

The plan was always to remove every annoying, cheap or useless spell and make it better so it's even acceptable in dueling, if I were to touch expelliarmus, it wouldn't "fully" disarm you, it'll disable your usage of projectile for a period of time or maybe disable you and automatically reequip unless you so choose to equip it yourself.

I'll also expand on the topic of projectiles since I don't think I wrote it anywhere on the suggestion board, besides the normal projectiles that go in a straight line we can control the spell of the projectile, the strength of it when colliding with other projectiles, we can also make different directional projectiles as seen with Incindia and then there's the grenade type projectiles where it has an AoE after the projectile impact/fade.

We can also have a projectile travel in a non-linear direction, do you wanna throw a boomerang Waddiwasi?

I'm unsure right now what to do with bindings or expelliarmus with their method of delivery and I actually do want opinions on that. While normal projectiles are all cool and 'swell it's going to be harder to land a bind during a duel this way but adding an AoE to the impact makes it slightly easier.

Please keep in mind the bind will be a much shorter duration, of course in combat every second counts but the current 30-60 seconds bind is just completely absurd.

It's a bit scary to touch the pvp meta but those spells won't be approved in FFA or matchmaking until they're complete and refined, we're still in brainstorming and testing phase, in fact, we might never improve them and they might remain street fighting spells but right now they aren't even that.