"Dungeon" System

Started by Omar, June 05, 2015, 10:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omar

Suggestion
The "dungeon" system, as I like to call it, would be a system that really focuses on giving a different system of gaining experience. It will focus on mobs, and add several new ones into the fray. It will probably look into new items that can be found. I was thinking of a crafting system that can be added since there will be new monsters and they can drop more ingredient type items. Maybe potions? or armors?

As the title suggests the system will make a system of dungeons, that will be described in an original story point of view for the games purpose. Instead of it being really a dungeon it would be more of a catacomb that was created long before hogwarts was there. To get to the point and stay away from the story in this part, it would start by entering a central area that can be located/accessed under the school in CoS. While in this central area it is considered a safe haven where no monsters spawn, and will give several options that will affect your experience in the dungeons.

*Central Area:
     - Will give the ability to teleport to different parts of the dungeon.
     - NPCs that give quests
     - Leaderboard that shows the furthest someone has gotten in the dungeon. This is for showing how much of the dungeons have been explored, story wise.

*Teleport*
The teleporter that allows people to go to different parts of the dungeon would be important to keeping the dungeons more player friendly and less of a pain to do. The idea I had for the teleport system is to have bosses of each level of the dungeons drop a certain item that affect the teleporter and allows the user to teleport to the level after that boss. I think it might be better to have it where it was more like something you absorb, so people couldn't just spam kill the bosses for the item and sell them. Since that might ruin the experience for other people.

With teleport comes the double path thing that can happen after a boss is defeated. You can keep going, or you can return to the central hub to look at your spoils!

*Leaderboard*
This can help a story develop and have players compete to get to the end of the dungeons to see what is there, and what enemy there is to face their wand!

*Actual Dungeons:
   - The dungeons will be the most important part of this, and will include several levels that can be explored.
   - Dungeons get harder as you go to the higher levels.
   - Tons of monsters

Since it has been hidden for years, even before Hogwarts was built it could be that the dungeons has been influenced by magic and has changed to many different dungeons that can be discovered later when new ideas come in as well.

*Monsters*
When I thought new monsters I thought more experience. A lot of people in the lower levels don't like the whole sit there reading a book to gain levels. So why not boost exp on mobs while more monsters are being added. These will give a whole new experience system that will be sort of similar to a grind fest but it would give people who like that more incentive to play the game. Meaning: more players.

Similarities and Differences
This sort of in a way has a similarity to the CoS that is currently available with the different levels, but since it is a system of catacombs more and more dungeons can be added, and CoS can be considered the first one to have been discovered. But there is a huge difference between these dungeons and CoS. The crafting system is also similar to the enchantment system that there is. But i was thinking maybe the crafting system can be supplemented by enchanting, sort of like an MMO type thing where the crafted items can be enchanted to be better.

*Differences:
   - Noob friendly
   - Different bosses
   - An original story for the game to use.

Story

The school seems to be showing no new surprises and has been recently peaceful, but no one expected what would happen. Many students entered the Chamber of Secrets to explore something they haven't explored before. But the Chamber of Secrets has already been explored and mapped out so it wasn't a totally new adventure. But these students ended up getting lost even with the map of the area. They suddenly stumbled into a dead end, and were freaking out. They didn't know what they were going to do, but the leader of the group noticed something. He saw a light coming out of the deadends wall. Once he looked into it he noticed that there was a whole different part of the Chamber. He noticed that there were ghosts walking around in there, similar to the ones above in the school. At that moment he decided it would be best to get to that side of the wall and ask the ghosts for the way, and as soon as he blew the wall down, and entered the dungeons had been discovered after thousands of years of hiding. A new adventure was on the way.

Problem

There is a major problem with this... it does require a lot of icons that need to be made, especially items, and monsters. But i think if people work together it can happen if people really like this idea. I am thinking of making a lot of the icons if this idea is good. I'd appreciate suggestions to this idea, and make it more solid and more viable to be placed into the game.

I will include a pixel art i drew, that i will play with to make more into the TWC style before i make it move.  Suggestions are really helpful! Im still not that great at making my own original pixel art, but I am good at drawing so I figure i can learn as I go, like i did drawing. The icon below is a drawing of a dragon I did hopefully you like it, but it was quick and i feel its not that good. Its an attachment and a jpg so hopefully you can look at it.

Rotem

Do you realize CoS has 3 dungeon floors?

This suggestion in general a lot of ideas grouped in and it's hard to dissect it. The only part I can get out've it is the leaderboard, since CoS already has 3 levels, with teleporters, with monsters that get stronger and boss monster at every end. And they have cool new drops and what not. I figured I'd slowly add floors to it.

Of course we also have the wisp map which is basically another dungeon for level cap-ed players. And there's the low level monster areas that noone cares for.

Omar

Yes! I do realize it is extremely similar to CoS. The thing is, CoS is one dungeon that /can/ keep having bosses added to it, but CoS should have an end to it ( I guess that is my opinion ). But wouldn't it be cool to have different designs for dungeons and have different types of enemies that are connected to that specified dungeon. Also item specific stuff related to that dungeon.

For example, an ice cave that has ice related monsters. Why is there an ice cave under Hogwarts? Well because over the years a lot of magic has influenced the catacombs and changed it.
Or a burial chamber with giant skeletons that was created by dark magic practiced in the catacombs during the events prior to Hogwarts.

Anyways, Sorry for the mess of ideas, i'll try to organize it more. I was half asleep when I was typing this, I don't know why i decided to write this when I should have been sleeping.

Skystone

Quote from: Omar on June 05, 2015, 10:36:59 PM
Suggestion
The "dungeon" system, as I like to call it, would be a system that really focuses on giving a different system of gaining experience. It will focus on mobs, and add several new ones into the fray. It will probably look into new items that can be found. I was thinking of a crafting system that can be added since there will be new monsters and they can drop more ingredient type items. Maybe potions? or armors?
Maybe lamps? or +1 items?

As the title suggests the system will make a system of dungeons, that will be described in an original story point of view for the games purpose. Instead of it being really a dungeon it would be more of a catacomb that was created long before hogwarts was there. To get to the point and stay away from the story in this part, it would start by entering a central area that can be located/accessed under the school in CoS. While in this central area, it is considered a safe haven where no monsters spawn, and will give several options that will affect your experience in the dungeons.

*Central Area:
     - Will give the ability to teleport to different parts of the dungeon.
     - NPCs that give quests
     - Leaderboard that shows the furthest someone has gotten in the dungeon. This is for showing how much of the dungeons have been explored, story wise.
Interesting idea, especially the leaderboard idea. Someone always wants to be ahead of the other for showing they've gotten to the xth floor. For the most part, everything else you've said has already been implemented.

*Teleport*
The teleporter that allows people to go to different parts of the dungeon would be important to keeping the dungeons more player friendly and less of a pain to do. The idea I had for the teleport system is to have bosses of each level of the dungeons drop a certain item that affect the teleporter and allows the user to teleport to the level after that boss. I think it might be better to have it where it was more like something you absorb, so people couldn't just spam kill the bosses for the item and sell them. Since that might ruin the experience for other people.
#1 thing I got from this is, make it so that charged teleport crystals can't be traded as the idea you have here is already implemented in the game as well.

*Monsters*
When I thought new monsters I thought more experience. A lot of people in the lower levels don't like the whole sit there reading a book to gain levels. So why not boost exp on mobs while more monsters are being added. These will give a whole new experience system that will be sort of similar to a grind fest but it would give people who like that more incentive to play the game. Meaning: more players.
Monsters actually do give more exp than books. It's just not as safe to farm monsters for exp than it is for books. Though I still would like to see what would happen if we increased the exp output.

Similarities and Differences
This sort of in a way has a similarity to the CoS that is currently available with the different levels, but since it is a system of catacombs more and more dungeons can be added, and CoS can be considered the first one to have been discovered. But there is a huge difference between these dungeons and CoS. The crafting system is also similar to the enchantment system that there is. But i was thinking maybe the crafting system can be supplemented by enchanting, sort of like an MMO type thing where the crafted items can be enchanted to be better.

*Differences:
   - Noob friendly
   - Different bosses
   - An original story for the game to use.
Kind of confused here, are you suggesting to implement a crafting/enchanting system, because if so, we already have one in-game.

Story

The school seems to be showing no new surprises and has been recently peaceful, but no one expected what would happen. Many students entered the Chamber of Secrets to explore something they haven't explored before. But the Chamber of Secrets has already been explored and mapped out so it wasn't a totally new adventure. But these students ended up getting lost even with the map of the area. They suddenly stumbled into a dead end, and were freaking out. They didn't know what they were going to do, but the leader of the group noticed something. He saw a light coming out of the deadends wall. Once he looked into it he noticed that there was a whole different part of the Chamber. He noticed that there were ghosts walking around in there, similar to the ones above in the school. At that moment he decided it would be best to get to that side of the wall and ask the ghosts for the way, and as soon as he blew the wall down, and entered the dungeons had been discovered after thousands of years of hiding. A new adventure was on the way.
Fair enough.

Problem

There is a major problem with this... it does require a lot of icons that need to be made, especially items, and monsters. But i think if people work together it can happen if people really like this idea. I am thinking of making a lot of the icons if this idea is good. I'd appreciate suggestions to this idea, and make it more solid and more viable to be placed into the game.

I will include a pixel art i drew, that i will play with to make more into the TWC style before i make it move.  Suggestions are really helpful! Im still not that great at making my own original pixel art, but I am good at drawing so I figure i can learn as I go, like i did drawing. The icon below is a drawing of a dragon I did hopefully you like it, but it was quick and i feel its not that good. Its an attachment and a jpg so hopefully you can look at it.

mk.

Current:
Ravenclaw Graduate
DJ

Former:
Head Auror
Dragon
MagDeluxe Reporter
Charms Professor
COMC Professor

Skystone

Quote from: Omar on June 06, 2015, 12:33:46 PM
Yes! I do realize it is extremely similar to CoS. The thing is, CoS is one dungeon that /can/ keep having bosses added to it, but CoS should have an end to it ( I guess that is my opinion ). But wouldn't it be cool to have different designs for dungeons and have different types of enemies that are connected to that specified dungeon. Also item specific stuff related to that dungeon.

For example, an ice cave that has ice related monsters. Why is there an ice cave under Hogwarts? Well because over the years a lot of magic has influenced the catacombs and changed it.
Or a burial chamber with giant skeletons that was created by dark magic practiced in the catacombs during the events prior to Hogwarts.

Anyways, Sorry for the mess of ideas, i'll try to organize it more. I was half asleep when I was typing this, I don't know why i decided to write this when I should have been sleeping.

I have ice monster icons. Dey cool?
Either way making a flooring or a wall for an ice level is pretty simple and would be the best step for making another level.

Current:
Ravenclaw Graduate
DJ

Former:
Head Auror
Dragon
MagDeluxe Reporter
Charms Professor
COMC Professor

Rotem

I believe we're no longer talking HP so when I call it CoS please understand anything beyond floor 1 is unrelated to HP.

In my head, the chambers of secrets is the name of the dungeons. Chambers upon chambers of secrets, many many secrets. Why would it EVER end?

Floor 1 is normal, got a remapped maze with a basilisk. The basilisk after all the balances to it feels like an actual boss mob.

Floor 2 is very similar only it has trolls instead of demon rats. Those trolls can damage people which is a drastic power increase. Back in floor 2 I wanted to see how people will react to the concept so there wasn't much focus on grinding anything but the boss.

Stickman, the boss of floor 2, is a little too powerful for floor 2 in my opinion, boss locations might be switched if we get a more suited boss for it.
But the concept, a whole different boss, a whole different attack pattern, it's so different than Basilisk. It has it's own unique drops like the stickman book.

Then we have floor 3, which also focuses on grinding lower monsters, in fact, it's all about those lower monsters. The desert, floating eyes. You grind and grind, there's not even a maze, to get to the boss you have to kill a thousand eyes and then the boss spawns and destroys you. Although I haven't tried that boss yet so I don't know if it's tough or not hence it doesn't have unique drops yet. I like to add unique drops only after the boss has been balanced and all the possible exploits were fixed.

Floor 3 is completely different than anything you experienced in floor 1, from the strength of demon rats, their logic as a monster. The concept of grinding to the boss monster. Even the floors aren't floors, it's full of sand and has teleporters floating around the entire map threatening to send you places, bad places!

I think I made it clear by now I will not be bound by the HP universe and I will add as much lore, nothing stops me from adding stuff.

I might be misunderstanding you so tell me where our opinion becomes different because as far as I can tell all you're suggesting is adding more floors. Like floor 4 can be an ice cave. Floor 5 is some sky maze. Floor 6 will be something entirely different. They're all connected by magic portals the boss drops, there doesn't need to be any physical reasoning for the connection, it's a magical universe!

Note: we already have ice tile and cave walls.

Omar

Thank you Skystone, and Rotem for your inputs!
I began typing this before reading your last input Rotem, so yea it can be considered chamber of secrets type stuff. I think the ideas are pretty much similar Rotem, adding more floors would be ideal. But I was thinking of having dungeons that can be theme related with multiple floors connected to that theme. These theme related Chambers will be different from the multiple floored Chamber of Secrets. I'd love to make monsters for more floors in CoS and also monsters for a theme based dungeons.

Thoughts
This post has multiple ideas that I tried to organize from the above suggestions.

*Leaderboard, and Safe Haven
The safe haven is an idea to accumulate all the dungeon entrances into one area, not including the already placed dungeons in Hogwarts and on the map. The entrance into the catacombs that were created a long time ago will be in this safe haven. It should be stairs leading towards the first floor of the catacombs. The safe haven can eventually open up more and go to different parts of the catacombs with different themes.
   - Inside the Safe Haven there shall be: a Leader Board, 2-3 Ghost like NPCs that give information and quests, and a teleporter that allows students to teleport to floors they have gotten to.
          - The Leader Board:
                      - The leaderboard will indicate who has gotten to xth floor and this will give competitiveness to these dungeons. Each dungeon should have a leaderboard. Including the Chamber of
                         Secrets that currently exists.
          - Ghost NPCs
                      - These ghosts can be original ghosts with their own story, and background that can be made up. But these npcs will be there to help guide people in the safe haven, and give them
                         quests. Plus ghosts can be there forever.
          - The teleporter
                      - This idea comes from the annoying task of having to go to the pain of killing every boss every single time you want to go down the chamber of secrets. Why not have it that you get a
                         a crystal or something from the bosses that are in the dungeon. These crystals will activate the teleporter and have the student teleport to the area they left off in, or the area that the
                         crystal teleports them to.

*Themed Dungeons
As stated these dungeons will have themes and will have an ending. And have a final boss in them that drops the most precious item wanted in these dungeons. The bosses prior will drop the teleport items to get to the next floor from the teleporter, and will drop a portal to the next floor aswell. The dungeons will have themed enemies that will drop items such as ice crystals that can be added for more enchantment things, and crafting.

When I said the dungeons would be noob friendly, I was thinking making really easy themed dungeons that would be more interesting than an area full of monsters.

*Crafting System
When I said crafting system I was thinking of making armors, or wands using the crafting. Crafting your own wand will yield better results than buying a wand, especially if the wand is made properly. And armors can be considered scarves, wigs, and shoes. Why not make them craftable? But make them really hard to craft, and like wands can yield better results than the bought ones.

But this would implement stats to equips and im not sure if thats what anyone would want.

Rotem

Just noting there's a teleporter crystal you can charge up on memory runes then use it to go back there. 3 Charges per crystal if I recall correctly. I acknowledge some pains.

I get your suggestion better now. For now however we'll continue to add floors and when we have a suitable amount we'll probably re-organize them. It's hard to move forward with having 3 floors.

I imagine your idea would really come in handy when we have more dungeon-content.

Justin

@Dragon - From the PNG version I saw it uses 73 colors. You should cut that down to 5 excluding the black outline. The 3 main brown shades for the body while the other 2 are for the bone/horns.  Also for some reason you have black pixels with an alpha of 0 around the Dragons body unsure if that was intentional. Other than all that there are places where the line art could use some touching up. :P

Omar

Alright, Justin. I will work on reducing colors in all my icons, because honestly wasn't really paying attention to them and kind of was putting the color by eye on Photoshop. Thank you for the feedback!