Quidditch Team Construction

Started by Alexander, July 16, 2014, 11:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexander

So as some of you may know, I've been working on a new Quidditch system in my spare time. I've done the basic work for each of the different types of players (Keeper, Seeker, Chaser, Beaters), and now I'm moving on to teams and how they will work.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but here is how I was imagining it would work.

Certain players would have "Captain Badges", which would be a wearable item. Wearing this item would give you verbs to construct your team, as well as allow you to interact with Madame Hooch (the current NPC that controls the Pitch).

The interesting thing about this system, is that where you may be lacking players to fill an entire team of 7, you can replace with NPC players that will fill in. Then, if there are NPC players in a match, you will be able to shift between which the posistions available. Obviously if there is an actual player controlling the posistion, you will not be able to take over. Only if there is an NPC.

Now, I was thinking of making a pop-up window that the captain can use to assemble the team. They can define their "Starting Line-up", putting which players (presumably from their own house) would play each position at the start of the game. They can also have a "Second Team" (sort of like football?), that would play if those players are not available.

When a game starts, it wouldn't check which players are online, it would check which players are in the Quidditch Pitch. So it is the responsibility of the Captain to get all the players to the Pitch for a game. However, if they come to the game late, and their is an NPC Player playing on their team, they can join and take over.

These are just rough ideas, but I would love to hear thoughts and comments from other players. How do YOU think it should work. Any questions? Let me know.

Sikandar Aamir

I wanna be seeker lol
and when will it start let me know please

Vital

We were talking about this yesterday, first of all thank you for working on this..quidditch would be a great addition to the game.

The whole NPC idea is a really good idea, don't know how much work it will need but it sounds great. What about a system like a lobby? Where anyone can play at anytime by joining lobbies at the arena and once their full the game can start or something like that? That way everyone can play, and ofcourse there can be house cup as well in which a captain is chosen for each house and players are chosen to represent the house. The whole lobby system would help in the sense that everyone can play the game at any time, and since it's hard to have all the people on to play a game a lobby can help with that. When a player goes offline he can automatically be dropped out of the lobby. As in what position a player plays? Well maybe it's first come-first serve for the positions? Ofcourse the house cup the captain would announce the positions of each player but in random lobby games maybe it can be something like that. Also, since each player will be playing in different teams due to the lobby, their can be a rating system implemented kind of like LoL in which we all start at 1 rating..and everytime a person loses/wins their rating changes...maybe also the lobby can detect these ratings and automatically sort out the teams to make it balanced? If you want it even more detailed maybe a player has a rating for each quidditch position..helps with scouting for the house cup captains..and maybe it can be used for the lobby to detect which rating is higher and give you priority over others for that position..for example i join a lobby and chose to be a Chaser, and lets say theirs only 1 chaser spot...someone else joins with a higher Chaser rating and therfor takes my spot, i get placed in some random spot ? that way you can play different positions and have an accurate rating of your skill level for each of the positions...

I don't know, these are all just ideas..idk how hard it is to make because I don't code or anything like that. Either way I appreciate that someone's working on this :) Thank you