Tardy/make-up work

Started by Devin Radcliffe, December 01, 2010, 11:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devin Radcliffe

Today I found out that the only teacher that allowed students to turn in make-up assignments was Rasputin, or so I heard. I hope to change that. I typed up a very basic outline of what a make-up assignment would be like, who it would apply to, and instructions. This would, of course, be up to the professor whether to use it or not. Without further ado:

Eligibility
-------------------------------------------------------
1. The student must get approval from the professor prior to starting the make-up assignment.

2. The student must have
         a) logged on or announced his/her presence at most five minutes after class has begun
         b) been unable to make it to class due to extenuating in game or real life circumstances, subject to the professor's approval.

3. The spell being taught must be a spell that has great utility or common usage in the wizarding world.

4. The assignment must be completed in a timely manner.

Instructions
The student is to clearly and legibly answer the questions using the format listed below. The assignment is to be written on a scroll with a quill. Answers must be in complete sentences and be written using correct grammar and punctuation, with no emoticons used. Research the spell by asking fellow students or using the Internet.

Assignment Format
Student name:
House:
Level:
Date:

Name of the spell:

Latin meaning:

Effect of casting:

Two advantages:

Two disadvantages:

Example of usage:

Again, this is a very bare bones format at this point, I will most likely change it unless everyone is happy with it., which I doubt it. A complete overhaul might be necessary and would be doable.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Please, make a post telling me what you like and don't like and make suggestions on how to improve it.

Devin Radcliffe

What are you trying to say? That the same problems you had with that idea are present in this format? The eligibility guidelines are there for a reason. This is for people who are only a few minutes late to class or can't make it there due to extenuating circumstances and miss an important spell they need. There are few enough questions that it should take less than a minute to grade a paper but enough so that most people will prefer class to doing the makeup assignment.

Edit: Additionally, as I stated in the original message, this is completely optional and up to the professor whether or not to do it. If the professor finds it too stressful or time consuming, they don't have to do it.

Morduk

If they miss a spell they needed it will be taught again. There's only so many spells to teach per class. Also, going to class is a part of the game, and in my opinion doing an assignment is no substitute for classes.

Gordongoage

Здравствуйте, активные читатели и комментаторы!

Какие этические дилеммы, связанные с технологическим прогрессом, вызывают у вас наибольшее беспокойство? 
 Всем спасибо, до новых встреч на страницах форума. 
 С радостью общаюсь с новыми людьми, контакты в профиле.