Community

Started by Dazzler, August 30, 2016, 04:47:19 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Dazzler

I'm going to start this suggestion by telling you to read this first. http://forum.wizardschronicles.com/index.php?topic=539.0




Done? Sweet. What happened? I can basically tell you right off the bat, that if you asked anyone who plays TWC currently, the last thing they'd say is that it feels like 'Home' ~ Direct quoting Rotem 2k11. Nor would they really say the community keeps them going. What has happened? I grew up with TWC, playing since I was 12. Even Rotem was insulting me for being illiterate and English isn't even her first language~ Actually no. Back then, LionelL would have insulted me. Still, the community was great, welcoming.. Actually there! Now, it doesn't seem like that. I do bring myself to log on from time to time, but it just disheartens me a little. Seeing how things have turned out.

The Community. Our biggest event, Prom. Had to be cancelled and held on another day because no one turned up. Sad but true. That community and that sense of belonging seems to have been strangled out of the game slightly. I mean, look. We never missed prom. That was the thing, everyone no matter what, never missed prom. I missed my /actual/ prom(went to my girlfriends at the time) and rushed back home when I knew TWC prom was starting. Say whatever you want about this post, but I can guarantee no one would be doing it to get back to the game and more importantly the community now.

> Remove AFK Training (Including the leader board) - This is dumb, you're rewarding and even giving them a table for not interacting with the community. Even giving them chest rewards if I remember, that's just seems plain up dumb to me.

> Bring back old Stat Training. - I fucking hated having to run around SB 20 million times for that one stat point~ If it wasn't for the community, i'd have quit in the month of playing. Each trip, send out an insult, start some drama/banter.. It kept you entertained and more importantly kept them entertained also. Community is Key here. I'd certainly have died mid way through my 14,876,227 run through SB for sure, without the community.

> Remove Safe Zones (This is just one I want) - Who doesn't like shooting up the a*****e who insulted you with that playground insult. This obviously is going to get 'no but that's against the rules' treatment. But really, how many times has this happened to you and actively got you going outside and duelling away. A lot(If you were around). Punishment should be given, when it's harassment. If it's literally one kill its just trying to spark up something interesting.(This is completely Bias from my part, you're not expected to take this one seriously.)

> Remove Guilds. - These in my eyes are just plain dumb. You say it yourself, 'they are essentially clans, without them being called clans'. Players won't dedicate their time to training and getting better to join a social group. You wouldn't, don't expect someone else to. The community in general was our social group before~ Yes it was competitive and a little bit toxic(Which can be dealt with when necessary.) but that competitive nature kept everyone doing something, talking to one another; I remember from like 2011, reading a post made by Julian. It really sums up to me, what's missing now. I won't tell you what I think of this, i'll simply let you read it yourself. (Link: http://forum.wizardschronicles.com/index.php?topic=539.0)

> Bring Back Clans - This inspired a lot of people to achieve something. They were exclusive, they should be enforced to make cuts on people who haven't been active for a month. Whatever the reason. After all, if they come back(which some don't) they'll be able to enter again once more. Clearly you don't like the idea of having 2 clans, hence the guilds. More inclusive etc, etc. Make three clans or four then. Simple. I do however, like the idea of the masks. Clearly you want to get away from the harry potter tags, so in the event of that make brand new clans, new lores, new history etc etc. Different masks for different clans, four separate masks in total. They are the equivalent of 'clan robes'. Then you also don't have the aurors complaining that they want their names hiding too, as everyones will be hidden. Obviously clan hideouts etc would need to be redone, but.. That's definitely in your ability.

> Focus less on 'New Content' and more on 'Community' - Most of your players, haven't even done any of the new content you've added. Yes that's sad, but they have no reason to when they can just read a book for everything. Right? That's what you seem to be encouraging. Instead of that focus on what you need to do for the community, what would encourage them to be more active doing things. What they'd want to achieve. I haven't even done the Bassilisk since the update when it was changed, ages ago. My stuff aren't even enchanted with the wisp stuff.
Proud Slytherin!
Current Hogwarts Graduate Year!
Founder of TWC Cards!
Leader of TWC Wiki's Revival Team!
Ex-Head Auror!
#DazzlerTheDazzling

Rotem



How can you have an opinion about something you never experienced? You admit to not trying it out.


  • AFK Training, few months back, I've added a way to toggle book reading, I completely disabled it for a week, the community didn't respond well to this, they like to sit by a book and socialize, books aren't about chests, gold or experience, they're about justifying sitting with a friend to talk. This is actually a change that proved itself to be good, it's a fact, there's no opinion here.

  • How is old stat training in way or form superior to the current grinding? Today things are more complicated and far more interesting, this falls under, you haven't tried it, you have not a single clue what's up so you just fire off your hip because you don't like change.

  • Safe zones always existed, in the primitive era, GMs had to enforce it but it was never ever allowed and you got banned for that offense eventually. The automated Hogwarts kill zone event answers for any RP need or fighting need, this is once again, bullshit.

  • You don't know how guilds function. They're superior to old clans in any way shape or form, once again, you judge something without having a single clue about it.

  • They can't get anything by reading books, what are you on about? Do you even play TWC? Regardless, if you have ideas about what I could implement to support community-content, I'm all ears, so far I just ear "I HATE CHANGE" and no preferable alternative ideas.


Apeiro

Quote from: Dazzler on August 30, 2016, 04:47:19 PM
> Remove AFK Training (Including the leader board) - This is dumb, you're rewarding and even giving them a table for not interacting with the community. Even giving them chest rewards if I remember, that's just seems plain up dumb to me.


Book reading does not put you onto the experience leaderboard.

Quote from: Dazzler on August 30, 2016, 04:47:19 PM
Different masks for different clans, four separate masks in total.


There are already 8 different masks in the game.

Dazzler

I mean, for you to say what someone else hasn't experienced is a bit brave in itself. Yes, perhaps I haven't experienced some of the new bosses, the wisp grinding(Which I did do some of) and what not.

1. I never said /completely disable/ book training. Not even in the slightest, which is what you're using as your evidence here. I'm saying run it like before where you had to be active for your check. That way you keep people at their computers and interacting with one another, rather than just putting it on to start reading and playing another game all day. That is essentially just one less person to talk to. Book training, is good. Being able to do it without even being semi-afk, isn't. That is what I was getting at. You seem, judging by your evidence seem to think I'm saying get rid of it completely. Which is what you did.

2. I'll accept that your new method of stat training are far more intricate and interesting yes, I have tried it. Just only so far. I do like how this encourages, in terms of enchanting interacting with one another to get the appropriate items to do so(which is why I actually like potions too, kinda). So for this I'd say you're right, but finding a way to incorporate both of them would be far nicer on people who can't attain other copies of their current items.

3. Once again, this was an off comment. Safe zones have always existed. It was rarely punishable by a ban, unless you did it excessively to one person until it hit the point where it was considered straight up harassment. I'm simply stating, it did cause a lot of stuff to actually happen. Once again, an off comment. Don't take it too seriously.

4. Guilds are dumb.

5. Listening to your community would help. Yes they're all jumping on me for posting this. 'How could you say this', 'bullshit' yet I only posted this because a few of your players were talking about me getting back into the game, I told them I doubt I will. I told them why, they told me to post it as it's how they feel. If you'd like to talk further, you can get me on skype. Like I told you earlier.
Proud Slytherin!
Current Hogwarts Graduate Year!
Founder of TWC Cards!
Leader of TWC Wiki's Revival Team!
Ex-Head Auror!
#DazzlerTheDazzling

Rotem

A game that disconnects people is just weird, new games would get disconnected all the time and just not get back, I disagree with it, I, the person who made it to level 2k being active only where others would constantly get kicked.

I wasn't talkactive when book reading, I watched shows having TWC in a tiny window at the side, it's pointless, in your player log, there's 11 AFK disconnects and 1 afk training ban. You didn't level too far and are an average case. What was before, is stupid and should never come back.

Instead, I took the route of making monster farming extremely more rewarding, it's a millions time faster and more rewarding. Also, when reading a book but being away, you receive 1/3 of your gain if you were present, it's a lot more friendly, doesn't kick or ban you, what sort of new player is going to enjoy being kicked and banned?

You say guilds are dumb but I don't recall you being in one, describe to me how you think guilds and clans currently work and why you think they're dumb.

And last, it'd be helpful if the community said more than "x is just dumb". I am listening, perhaps you don't like my response afterwards but you can't say I don't listen. If someone's got an idea, this board is always open, I encourage posting in it and I always read it.

Dazzler

The banning, I agree with you a little on this. Disconnecting in my eyes, is fine. However as being a victim of the ban, I agree that's a bit extensive. Although, the disconnecting in my opinion worked pretty well. If you wasn't there, you lose what you had earned since you last was there, on the assumption you saved. Which, if you were going to go afk. You would do. I used to have it at the side also; watching shows. Although, It was always so I could see the conversations and being semi-afk as I was, responding all the time. I didn't go through the trial of being 2k, you're right. I made it to I think just over 900 by the time the game went down, but still I feel the whole disconnecting thing worked well. You wouldn't even need to have it being added to the player logs, they'd know what happened. Also, I'm pretty sure it was for each 3 AFK disconnects you get a ban? If so, I got off lightly.

I know the whole, your receive less exp for being away. But the fact that you can be away is what gets me, I guess. No one enjoys being kicked or banned(With a few exceptions, but we won't go there.) Perhaps you should go for the middle ground of simple 'Stopping them from reading' if they don't respond to the check. They're afk, thus they stop reading. Seems to work a lot better in my opinion and would actually encourage people to be a the game whilst training; hopefully boosting how active they are in the conversations and general community.

As for guilds, we made a little deal. We'll do that, and I'll write back here then.
Proud Slytherin!
Current Hogwarts Graduate Year!
Founder of TWC Cards!
Leader of TWC Wiki's Revival Team!
Ex-Head Auror!
#DazzlerTheDazzling

Dazzler

Was away Rping, my bad for the slow reply.
Proud Slytherin!
Current Hogwarts Graduate Year!
Founder of TWC Cards!
Leader of TWC Wiki's Revival Team!
Ex-Head Auror!
#DazzlerTheDazzling

Lady Siren

August 30, 2016, 10:18:54 PM #7 Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:27:29 PM by Lady Siren
As an old player that's returned recently, I don't have a whole lot of experience with the New TWC just yet. I have real-life commitments that are limiting the amount of time I can actually log on and play. What I can comment on is what I have seen and what I've already participated in.

Book training: I really love the new system. Let me repeat that: I LOVE THE NEW SYSTEM. It's a hell of a lot more freeing that sitting next to a book and having to STOP training to talk on Say or OOC  every I want to have a conversation. I can now carry on full conversations and still train whereas before I did as Rotem did. I would watch TV or something and just hold the macro in for long periods of time. This actually decreased the amount of conversation I would have with other players.

The new reading system is an incredible addition to the game for those that prefer to book train. I also really enjoy being able to AFK train. It's nice being able to go to the bathroom or make dinner without missing anything and without being d/c'd. Training by book takes so long anyway there ought to be ways to take advantage of it and make the most out of it. The AFK checks not-booting is wonderful because sometimes I'm typing when the check comes up and if I hit the enter or space key because I didn't catch it in time and the wrong answer was highlighted, I can merely stop reading and restart to continue at a normal speed. This way, I'm not disconnected if I accidently hit the wrong answer.

It's also great for me as I've been doing massive amounts of research the last couple of weeks for a huge paper due on Friday. This way, I can catch back up and still get my work done.

Monster farming is more rewarding that training with a book, but also more risky for lower levels or people just starting out. As for stat points, it seems to me that it takes some of the randomness away from the gains of leveling. I can now choose to bump my HP rather than my MP etc. It makes the game a bit more fun to be because now I can play my strengths or protect my weaknesses. Every system I've seen in video games and even DnD gives you stat points (or similar) to distribute at certain levels, I don't see a difference here and I don't understand your objection.

As for safe zones, frankly bite me. Hogwarts has always been a safe zone it just had to be GM enforced as Rotem said. When you die, you lose exp and gold. If I've spent all my time training or monster farming and I'm just relaxing in Hogwarts where I'm supposed to be safe and I get killed and lose half my EXP and gold I'm gonna be pissed. The game has a PvP element and I understand that but I shouldn't be at risk everywhere just because two people get into an argument and I'm in the wrong place or because someone decides to cause a little mayhem and starts randomly killing.

As for prom, yeah it sucks that people miss it, but some of us are adults and have adult responsibilities. I was working the entire day of prom. I would rather have been home continuing my research and attending TWC prom but I can't call in for something like that.


I don't have an opinion on guilds vs clans because I haven't experienced guilds yet. I will say that my former clan was like my family, even if I've lost touch with most of them over the years. I don't see guilds being much different.

Overall, I like the new game and the new system that I've experienced. I really love most of the new additions.

(Oh, look, I leveled while typing this. TWICE. Isn't that nice? Haven't I engaged in the community with this post?)

Edit: I would also like to add that I feel the game is infinitely richer for the additions and I feel that is it more friendly to those who have other commitments and outside lives.

Sara

I love how you automatically assume no one would call TWC as their home, Dazzler. Hell, I'd love it if TWC was my home, than the shit hole I live in now.

The first date wasn't a good time for prom, because Adults have lives that they can't control to make time for a game. And if I recall, weren't you the one that showed up late to the prom that /was/ around?

Clans - They aren't gone, they're just Guilds now. You can literally have a group of your own now and win the chance of being in one of the HQs of either Chaos or Peace. Clan wars is still around, masks were added with names of the guild on top of you when you put it on, a GUILD chat.. And you're saying we should have the old system of that back? You could LITERALLY name your guild as "Aurors". No one is literally stopping you. In fact, roleplay families could even join the same guild and be closer than the old Clan system. You can literally be within Chaos rep or Peace rep and be in the same guild. In the old system, if you wanted DEs, you wouldn't be caught dead within the Aurors.

Leader board - that's for killing shit. lol You don't get on the exp board for book reading. So why shouldn't we reward people who actually go out and kill monsters? You even have bragging rights, which your group of friends -love- to do if I remember correctly.

AFK Training - I don't book read anymore, but I can tell you that new players and old players don't bitch about this new system at all. You won't stop anyone from being afk while near a book. I bet in your case you'd just do the same thing. I'm a witness when we disabled book reading for a little while.. the game had literally barely any players on. Maybe like.. 4 at the most of it, when not including staff members. Hell, even the old system people were still away, even WITH the disconnecting/banning. Some people even never talked that much back then because they were afraid of being disconnected if the were typing and the afk check came on and hit them with the wrong one.

Safe zones - if it was an 'off topic' thing, don't include it. And you have no right to complain when we do have an event where the safe zone gets turned off and you're free to kill/duel players in that area, or even the dueling room where you can literally duel in that entire area. Plus, if you want 'something to spark off interesting' then make a damn guild and taunt other Guild players to get them to come out to see who's better and who's shit.

Stat Points - They're more balanced now. In your situation of wanting the old system, you'd be beaten to a bloody pulp if it was still around, since you were hardly active. Blaze, Justin, and Rotem, and any old active Stat point whore/gatherer (Sorry guys, couldn't figure out how else to basically write it out) would kill you so much you'd probably wouldn't even get a chance to gather your own if they decided to go after you. So, in this case, I love how no one has the upper hand unless you put the available stat points in certain things like HP or Damage. Or do anything else that the game offers with a balance to have more stats built up.

Community - That isn't Rotem's job, nor Justin or Murra's. Community relies solely on the other Staff and players themselves. You say no one has touched anything new. I'm seeing an increase of shit being touched that is new. I for one have been going through the new content. (When I'm 100% myself I'll be doing it even more). I've seen players AND staff alike going at the new content. I even see people with +3 items that they enchanted, bigger vaults, new items that you have to work for, potions they've learned on their own, the list could go on and on. You've only just came back since the Reunion/Prom. You literally have no right to say 'no one would touch the new content' when you haven't been on the game long enough (a few days or a week doesn't even count) to see anyone with the new shit you have 0 idea about.

This entire post is just you bitching that TWC isn't the same as it used to be. Well sorry to say but things and times change. Memories are meant to stay in the past. If you want to contribute to the community, actually do shit that is new to you. In fact, I recommend having +3 enchanted gear, killed the new bosses about 20 times, do multiple quests for 3 months, have 500 of each potion with O ratings, and have the biggest vault on TWC before bitching and complaining that you don't like it. Until then, stop acting like a spoiled brat who tries to get everything he wants by sitting there and whine all day.

Go Up