Dementors - Feedback Required (From everyone)

Started by Rotem, April 01, 2012, 02:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rotem

So, I've been hearing over OOC people wanting Dementors back for awhile now.

But how should Dementors be?

In the Harry Potter series, Dementors are immortal, they can't be killed by Glacius or any other projectile.
Expecto Patronum would only repel them.

Dementors were controlled by the Ministry although Dementors hold no true loyalty, except to whomever can provide them with the most people to feed off which is why at the end Dementors supported Voldemort.

So there's the following issues:

• Location. Where would Dementors be? What area will they spawn at?
    The Graveyard isn't really a proper place, right now the Ministry is in control and they won't let Dementors roam free. Even if Dementors won't be controlled, their immortal presence inside the Graveyard is pointless, they can't be killed, they'll basically sit there without any purpose.

• Fighting and/or Repelling.
    Dementors can't be killed by any spell (Attack projectiles, Charms etc.), they're immortal, how can you fight an immortal foe?
    Currently, Expecto Patronum simply makes all the Dementors in your view disappear, that's boring, I'd expect the immortal beings to be more of a challenge, something more fun.

I'd also say that not every wizard is skilled enough to instantly repel dementor, most wizards won't even be able to use Expecto Patronum properly against one Dementor (Expecto Patronum also doesn't give EXP or Gold).

On the other side of the coin, how would Dementor fight players/humans? Will he bite them like any other monster?
    Dementors were sucking souls! I'd be lame to be knocked out back to Hospital Wing after meeting a Dementor.

• Purpose.
    While Monsters roam free without thought, Dementors actually worked with humans.
    Even if location is found, they probably wouldn't be hostile for everyone and won't behave like other monsters.

Those sure are some nasty issues but how do we solve them? Simple! We figure out how Dementors should be like and they'll be re-added.

Reply to this topic with your thoughts, as detailed as possible.
Perhaps together we can figure it out and have a new fun feature added to TWC.

Skitz

This may be a bit hard to do but maybe put in a Askaban area with Dementors, maybe make a new spell that can kill them (and in classes maybe say that its a new spell or something) also if you get killed by one have it say "The Dementor sucked out your soul" then maybe you go into a spirit world and have to find your way back?

Murrawhip

Quote from: Skitz on April 01, 2012, 09:21:12 AM
maybe make a new spell that can kill them (and in classes maybe say that its a new spell or something)

Why?

Ezekiel Fenix

Technically it was never said they were Immortal. Just that a bunch of pansie assed school kids couldn't kill them.

Even if it did though, it's not like the game is restricted to be based wholly on 'fact'. I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to use normal spells to kill them, but if you have a problem with that you could say that it just 'repels' them untill the point in which they respawn.

Mayhaps the Head Death Eater should be able to send them to suddenly attack Hogwarts. Which would make 30 or so spawn outside Hogwarts with each one respawning 3 times.

You'd of course have to Limit that, so that the HDE didn't use it too often. School is supposed to be mostly safe.

I think at any rate they should be made stronger though. I think they should do a set amount of Damage uneffected by defence. Like 1000 or so. That way it would be more dangerous to lower players, and still a threat to Higher leveled players.

Murrawhip

I'm just addressing one part of your post.
Quote from: Ezekiel Fenix on April 01, 2012, 03:33:41 PM
Technically it was never said they were Immortal. Just that a bunch of pansie assed school kids couldn't kill them.

"You cannot destroy Dementors, though you can limit their numbers if you eradicate the conditions in which they multiply, ie, despair and degradation." J.K. Rowling interview from Mugglenet.

Ezekiel Fenix

You can't add material after a series is over an expect it to be Cannon.

JK Rowling has no control over whats true and whats not until she writes another book.

Skitz

Quote from: Murrawhip on April 01, 2012, 03:00:13 PM
Quote from: Skitz on April 01, 2012, 09:21:12 AM
maybe make a new spell that can kill them (and in classes maybe say that its a new spell or something)

Why?

Because the topic was in suggestions so i put in mine?

Murrawhip

Quote from: Skitz on April 02, 2012, 08:11:45 PM
Because the topic was in suggestions so i put in mine?

My question is "Why?" because, what's the advantage in simply adding another spell to do what Expecto does? That's not the problem we're trying to solve. Reread Rotem's post.

Skitz

Quote from: Rotem on April 01, 2012, 02:51:07 AM
    Dementors can't be killed by any spell (Attack projectiles, Charms etc.), they're immortal, how can you fight an immortal foe?
    Currently, Expecto Patronum simply makes all the Dementors in your view disappear, that's boring, I'd expect the immortal beings to be more of a challenge, something more fun.
Expecto simply makes Dementors Disappear, my suggestion is make a projectile spell to kill them.

Rotem

Yes but they could be killed with normal projectiles if that was what we wanted.

The problem is WE DON'T WANT Dementors to be killed like that.
They're immortal, adding another projectile just for Dementors seems pointless.

Death

Perhaps the effects of the spell could be changed to make it more realistic.

Expecto Patronum
MP Usage: 500 MP per second
Class: DADA/Charms, GCOM

New Overlay Icon: E-mail me if you need it.
Idea:
1. Lets you cast a bright blast of light that only lasts for a small amount of time, depending on your MP. (Your MP would drain as the spell is in effect) Instead of killing or making the Dementors disappear, it would simply repel or push back every Dementor within a "certain range" of you, as you walk around. Perhaps, like Arania Exumai, there could be an overlay for the Dementors to indicate that they are being repelled or blocked from you.

2.Lets you cast a shield of light that only lasts while your MP does. Any Dementors trying to get to you would feed off of it. However, the shield can only protect you in the direction you cast it in. As you move north, east, south, etc. the shield would only stay in the direction you face. So Dementors could still get to you from different directions. (As you move closer to Dementors, they would get pushed back if the shield hits them)

3. Patronus: Besides the regular Expecto Patronum form, perhaps the ability to conjure a patronus could be an additional skill. Just like summoning a Snake or a Bird, you'd be able to say, "Expecto Patronum!" and your patronus creature would be conjured. There could be commands for the patronus such as Follow, Go To, Send Message, etc. While they are around you they would repel any Dementor that they run into by pushing them back a tile or two. This type of skill could probably be more rare to earn like Animagus/Apparition, where you can win it and pick a patronus or something. (You cannot cast Expecto Patronum & conjure a patronus at the same time) Your patronus would only last for a certain amount of time, depending on your MP. (It would also drain your MP while it is conjured) Conjuring patronuses would have a cooltime, so it can't be spammed or used excessively.

Lavenblade

I really like where Dsc is going with this, I'm curious as to what Murra, Ander and everyone thinks about this. Does anyone want to expand off this or add suggestions to his opinion?

Rotem

I only have one problem with Dscu's suggestion.

If we go by Dscu's suggestion, Dementors will basically be feared, immortal, can only be pushed back yet you will always have to run away.

Some people will hate the fact nothing can be gained from them and that they can't be fully repelled.

Yet the issue of location still remains.

Perhaps have them randomly appear on roads?
Like an event where Dementors suddenly decide to raid to feast on travelers.

Lucifer

Quote from: Rotem on April 08, 2012, 04:46:11 AM
I only have one problem with Dscu's suggestion.

If we go by Dscu's suggestion, Dementors will basically be feared, immortal, can only be pushed back yet you will always have to run away.

Some people will hate the fact nothing can be gained from them and that they can't be fully repelled.

Well it makes sense looking at the books. Taken from the HP Wikia:

"A Patronus is a kind of positive force, and for the wizard who can conjure one, it works something like a shield, with the Dementor feeding on it, rather than him....

No one has ever demonstrated the ability to kill a dementor, implying that they can not be killed through physical means, but can only be driven away or temporarily kept at bay."

Dementors are already dead, so it doesn't make sense to "kill" them again.

Dementors feed off hate, so maybe if you try to fire anything but Expecto at them (Glacius, other projectiles) they become even stronger. So each individual dementor could become stronger and stronger.

Maybe Expecto could be learned in class but become stronger over many uses against different dementors. So it could start out you'd have to face in a direction to use it, and it'd only go 5-6 spaces. On the other end eventually get to a point where you press Expecto and it fires in all directions for the entire length of the screen, like a small circle of white getting bigger until it's out of your screen. The most powerful expecto will maybe cause the Dementors to teleport to some other part of the map far away rather than just be pushed back.

Just a few thoughts.
Current
TWC DJ

Former
Hufflepuff Quidditch Cpt (2008)
Hufflepuff Prefect (2008)
Transfiguration Professor (2008)
Administrator (2009)
Dueling Instructor (2009)
COMC Professor (2009)
Charms Professor (2009)
Head Auror (2011)
Head Deatheater (2011)
Game Owner (2013)
Head DJ (2014
)

Death

Quote from: Rotem on April 01, 2012, 02:51:07 AM
^Isn't that what you wanted, for them to be immortal and feared (as opposed to like a Pixie that can just be 1 hit killed, and unable to attack you)? It's more realistic because in the books/movies, nobody could just go up to Dementors and just kill them with attacking spells. Like you said, Dementors were controlled by the Ministry, etc. Perhaps Dementors' locations could be changed by higher GMs depending on whatever they want, etc. (For events, regular, etc.)

- Maybe they could be put in Hogwarts or outside it during school raids for protection against dark wizards.
- Maybe they could be randomly sent in different locations such as the Forbidden Forest, Silverblood, Crossroads, etc.
- Maybe dark wizards could get ahold of the control of Dementors like in the end of the books/movies.