A Fighter's Guide

Started by Rotem, August 11, 2013, 07:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rotem

A Fighter's Guide

In this guide you will be taught how to get better at fighting, both at duels and outside fighting.
I can't promise this will make you super duelists but it will probably help, I apologize in advance for any English mistakes I might make, my first language is Hebrew.

Also, some of the exercises require the spell Herbificus, it creates a rose 1 tile below you, the spell can be taught at Charms and GCOM.

The basics

In order to fight well, you need to know how to make and use macros, as well as how to move diagonally. As for stat points, the more stat points you put on your defense, the longer fights you will have, if you put your stat points on damage, then your fights will be shorter. Neither ways have an advantage, it only effects how long the duel will be, everyone have different preferences.

• How do you make macros? / Can I use my keyboard for commands?

You can make macros, macros will allow you to bind a verb to a key, this is very useful when fighting (How to make macros).

• How can I move diagonally?

Diagonal movement guide can be found here.

• What are stats?

There are 4 stats: HP, MP, Damage and Defense.
       - HP(Health Points): decides how much damage you can take before you are knocked out.
       - MP(Magic/Mana Points): decides how many spells you can use before you need to meditate, you require a certain amount of MP to use each spell, if you do not have enough MP, you can not cast the spell.
       - Damage: Decides the damage of certain spells (Glacius uses Damage stat, if you have 1231 Damage, your Glacius projectile will do 1231 damage).
       - Defense: Increases your HP and also increases the effect of defensive spells such as protego.

Know your keyboard

Your keyboard is your body, you must know every key, the faster you click the faster you'll move and react. The more used you are to your keyboard, the less mistakes you make.
This part of the guide contains different practices to help you get used to your keyboard and move better during a fight, perform the practices as much as you see fit, I advise doing each practice at least 40 times (if possible, 40 times per direction as well). Of course, do attempt to increase the speed you perform each practice as you repeat.

There are many different practices, I've selected the following for being commonly used, if you have a good practice suggestion, PM me and I'll add it.

• Zig zag, diagonal run

In this practice, you zig zag around, between the roses using only diagonals, this is a fast way to move around, it can also be used in battle, whether to move fast or to attack.
    To complete, first move around the roses x repeats, then move and shoot each time you move, again for x repeats. (Practicing shooting will help you deploy this is in battle better as well as reduce your chances to hit yourself, shoot once after each movement, try not to hit yourself).

• The Box

In this practice, you move around Rhombus shaped roses, as move from rose to rose, you also move to the rose, causing you to face it, you then shoot once, this act is referred to as the "wave".
    Waving can be deployed in combat, "the box" is actually an advanced form of waving where you trap your target in the center and wave around them.

Remember to shoot once each time you move towards a rose.

Know your opponent

Until now, we've practiced moving, shooting but we never considered your opponent's location, movement and projectiles. You need to learn to dodge, aim and counter.
As with everything in life, it's all about experience, the more experienced you are, the better you will be.

• Monsters

While this seems lame and unhelpful, it actually does help, fighting monsters help you gain experience, sometimes players move like AI monsters. It's also because places like Silverblood's Maze have set up in a way that forces you to practice some helpful movement patterns.

• The Basilisk

The basilisk, the strongest AI, it can kill you in one hit, you can't get close to it. Fighting the basilisk will certainly improve your dodging and aim, however, if you'd like to maximize the effect there are a few things you can do such as using inflamari or making sure Bassy requires 1 hit to kill you if your HP is high enough to survive one hit.

There is... one more practice that'll help you get used to your keyboard, develop reflexes, instinct, aim and your dodge (be perpared to die a lot, although, this is worth it):

By setting the basilisk's chamber this way, you are forced to move only with diagonals. Basilisk is also forced to move in a certain manner, it dodges your projectiles better and is harder to hit.
       I recommend successfully beating Basilisk this way 40 times, with inflamari when Basilisk is capable of one hitting you.

• Players

Eventually the second best thing you can do, is fight players. (I think things such as Bassy practice or Murrawhip's minion will probably be better)
    Players will move predictably and unpredictably, this will allow you to gain experience and develop your skills further, the more experienced you are, the better you will be.

Tricks

This section describes things you can use while moving and shooting to improve your skill.

• Know your environment

You need to know where you stand, what objects are near you and of course pay attention to other projectiles.
    Sometimes there are dense objects such as a trees you can use as cover to avoid getting hit, this logic also applies to projectiles, they are dense, you can either shoot a stream of projectile and use them as cover or use your enemy's.
    However, pay attention to where you take cover, you might get blocked in a very narrow path allowing your enemy to trap you with their projectiles.

• Turn and shoot

You don't have to move in order to change your direction, you can also use ctrl or shift + direction keys to change the direction you are facing, this can help you shoot whereever you want without risking yourself by moving.
    If you're 1 tile away from your target's projectile stream, you obviously can't move towards it, changing your direction however is possible (Tip: you can use your own projectiles to momentarily stop your target's).

If you'd like to macro this instead of use ctrl/shift+direction, the command would be adirection, for example: anorth, asouth, aeast, asoutheast, anorthwest etc.

• Depulso

While Depulso is not a projectile, it is usually allowed in duels, it will push whoever is in front of you, if they're facing you, you can move them away thus save yourself.
    It can also make them hit themselves if you time it correctly.

• Flippendo

Flippendo is a special projectile, it doesn't do any damage however it pushes people like Depulso does and also changes projectile's direction.
    Unlike depulso, it is harder to push someone who is 1 tile away from you with Flippendo but it is extremly easy to use this to defend against projectiles if you're a bit far from your opponent.
    It can also help you break other people's projectile streams, seeing as it pushes projectiles, this is very effective.

There are two tricky things you can do with Flippendo:

• Change the direction of your own projectiles by shooting flippendo right after a projectile, this can surprise your opponent because the projectile's path is less predictable.
    • Shoot flippendo as you run, this has a chance to protect you if as you're passing by. It also has a chance of hitting you, making yourself move faster.

Tips

Consider those things when fighting, they might help.

• Fight! The more you fight, the better you will be, don't be afraid of dying/losing, simply keep going and fight as much as possible.

• Never be afraid of losing, if you fear dying, you'll sometimes panic and be overrun, you'll basically make your fears come true, however, some fear is helpful, it can help you dodge and survive longer, just not too much fear.

• Try new things, experience new styles and movements. Everyone likes experiencing new things, who knows, maybe you'll invent some new awesome duel patterns/tricks.

• Find your own flaws and fix them, when you get hit or lose, try to think what you've done wrong and attemtp to fix it. Is some movement pattern making you get hit or hit yourself? Fix it!

• Realize every opponent fights differently, if some trick works on one person, it might not on another, you will probably need to fight differently against each opponent.

• Change your fighting style/patterns at the middle of the fight, doing so will confuse your opponent. They're already used to one thing then you suddently change.

• Lead rather than be led. Be the one leading the fight, don't let people trap you and walk to their projectiles.

• The best defense is most likely an offense, if people are busy dodging your projectiles, they'll be too busy to actually attack.

• Watch your HP, if it goes down too often, you're most likely doing something wrong, change your style quick to recover.

Contents:

Rotem

This is sort of "work in progress", if anyone have any suggestions feel free to reply here or PM me.

Lavenblade

Nice guide, it'll be neat to be able to have all the known dueling tactics, strategies, and QnA all in one place. It'll be like a dueling handbook. Very handy for those who're new to dueling.

I'm actually kind of curious to see how big this thing gets. Keep it up. :D

Rotem

Quote from: Lavitiz on August 11, 2013, 08:06:31 PM
Nice guide, it'll be neat to be able to have all the known dueling tactics, strategies, and QnA all in one place. It'll be like a dueling handbook. Very handy for those who're new to dueling.

I'm actually kind of curious to see how big this thing gets. Keep it up. :D
I'd rather not write down every duel mistake people make. Dueling is about personal experience, it's a dance, you dance by the beat, listening to your heart. It ain't about tactic. We can only go as far as writing tips and some basic practices, at the end it's all about experience.

Lucifer

Wow epic guide Rotem, haven't read it all yet but you clearly took a lot of work to make this. Great job!
Current
TWC DJ

Former
Hufflepuff Quidditch Cpt (2008)
Hufflepuff Prefect (2008)
Transfiguration Professor (2008)
Administrator (2009)
Dueling Instructor (2009)
COMC Professor (2009)
Charms Professor (2009)
Head Auror (2011)
Head Deatheater (2011)
Game Owner (2013)
Head DJ (2014
)

Rotem

I've added a new section "Tricks", everything is still work-in-progress, I need to add screenshot of practices to get used to ctrl but honestly the best practice is USING it, everywhere, always, nothing like experience.