TWC Open Sourced

Started by Murrawhip, January 27, 2014, 11:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murrawhip

Hey all!

Just letting you know that I've decided to open source TWC. I've been mentioning it occasionally over the years, but I've finally done it.

The updates lately have been few and far between, so I figure I can either let the game stagnate into nothing, orrrr let other people have a try.

Basically what will happen is, I'll maintain a central repository of the "main version" of TWC, which anyone can view or contribute to. I'll continue hosting the main server, based on this central repository. People can then host their own servers if they wish to. If their additions work out well, they might be merged into the main version.

I'll also move our bug/feature tracker list over to the repository so any of you can attempt to make a patch and submit it to the main version to help us out. This also means that instead of telling people "NO I'm not making potions", I can tell you to go ahead and make it yourself and contribute it back :P.

For those people who wish to modify the source: I know that licenses can be hard to understand, so you can read a dumbed down version here. Basically, if you host a modified version and someone wants your source, you have to give it to them. A common retort to this demand I occasionally hear is "But I changed 99% of the code!" - that doesn't matter. It's still a derivative work. Please don't take the time to modify TWC's source if you're going to pretend later on that you didn't understand that you would have to give your source to anyone who asks. I will also remind you that you cannot remove copyright notices from within the game. You can add to them, but not remove them.

For people who wish to host: some of TWC's features require a MySQL server. I've done my best to ensure TWC can run without these features (they're mostly player logging, associated keys, referrals, etc.) but if you have the know-how, you can set up your mysql server and install the schema.sql file, and put the details of your server in TWC's config.ini. Please note: clanadmin will currently not work as the file is hosted on my webserver and needs a rewrite to be compatible with custom servers. That will come eventually, probably.

The repository is here: https://github.com/DuncanFairley/TheWizardsChronicles
And the entire thing can be downloaded as a zip here: https://github.com/DuncanFairley/TheWizardsChronicles/archive/master.zip
Read the readme: https://github.com/DuncanFairley/TheWizardsChronicles/blob/master/README.txt

Please note I won't be spending a lot of time helping people host their own servers or whatever. My motivation behind open sourcing TWC is to help main TWC's development by allowing people to contribute. If you want to help TWC, hit me up and I'll give you and overview of what needs to be done.

Murrawhip

P.S. Justin is the first person to get the source. Yay Justin!

Btw: I expect some guides on how to contribute stuff to our repository will come up soon. I've got an awful flu at the moment. :(

P.P.S: My baby is in the hands of so many people now.  :'(

Emerald

Yay, this means I can finally add my dinosaurs to the forest

Murrawhip

Note that there's still a couple issues in the version up at the moment. I'll get em fixed soon but y'know. I'm sick. :D

For the people contacting me about compile errors - pleeeeease read the readme.

P.S. If you downloaded the source before the time of this edit, redownload it.

Skystone

This is very generous of you to release the current TWC as an open source.

Thank you very much Murrawhip. TWC will never be forgotten now.

Current:
Ravenclaw Graduate
DJ

Former:
Head Auror
Dragon
MagDeluxe Reporter
Charms Professor
COMC Professor

Severus

Go Rafi, it's your Birthday.

Severus

You can make another rip now and be level 4000 all by yourself!! :D

Lucifer

Cool. Thanks for all your work on the game Murrawhip. Hope this helps keep TWC going.
Current
TWC DJ

Former
Hufflepuff Quidditch Cpt (2008)
Hufflepuff Prefect (2008)
Transfiguration Professor (2008)
Administrator (2009)
Dueling Instructor (2009)
COMC Professor (2009)
Charms Professor (2009)
Head Auror (2011)
Head Deatheater (2011)